Welcome to the Special Education Department
Our district's Special Education Department includes Special Education, Dyslexia, and Response to Intervention (RTI) services. These programs are coordinated between the central office staff and campuses, but the services are provided on campuses.
COCISD provides a wide variety of services to students, including:
For students who need specific dyslexia testing, services and/or accommodations, COCISD provides a teacher trained in both assessment and dyslexia services for daily, pull-out, or testing services with students and staff.
- speech therapy
- psychological services
- occupational therapy
- a teacher for students with auditory or visual impairments
- physical therapy
- special transportation
- home-bound services
- orientation and mobility services
- transition planning for post-secondary goals
- individual education plans for each student in Special Education
The Transition in Texas website is a project of the Texas Secondary Transition/Post-School Results Network in collaboration with the Texas Education Agency. The network is comprised of representatives from each of the 20 Education Service Centers in Texas. For more information on Transition in Texas click here.
The Texas Transition and Employment Guide provides youth, young adults, parents, and professionals with secondary transition resources to facilitate a young person's progress towards post-secondary goals to education, employment, and community living. This guide will continually be updated. For more information on the Texas Transition and Employment Guide click here.
For more information on any of these programs, please contact our Special Education office at 936-653-1179, or contact your child's campus.Parent Resources:
- Texas Statewide Leadership for Autism Training (TSLAT) Free online training modules for educators.
- The Autism Circuit Free online training modules for educators.
- The National Professional Development Center on Autism Spectrum Disorder Free online training about ASD.
- Autism Internet Modules (AIM) Free online training about ASD.
- Autism Speaks Transition Resources Free online resources.
- Institute for Community Inclusion- Supporting Individuals with ASD: Quality Employment Practices
- The Autism Circuit- Pinterest
- The Autism Helper- Free resources and weekly blog to support educators working with individuals diagnosed with ASD.
- Structured Teaching Method -TEACCH
- The Texas Autism Conference
- Texas Project First
- Texas Behavior Support Initiative