Online Learning at COCISD - Guidelines and Procedures
COCISD offers all James Street Elementary and Coldspring Intermediate students the choice of asynchronous online learning at home (remote learning) or in-person learning on campus.
Lincoln Junior High and Coldspring-Oakhurst High School students who have a verified medical exemption form on file are also eligible for remote learning. All other LJH and COHS students must attend school on campus.
In the event of a quarantine or campus/district closure, affected students will be transitioned to remote learning until they return to school. The COCISD faculty has incorporated lessons into Google Classroom and other online platforms to make the transition as easy as possible while still maintaining
For JSE/CIS students, the choice of learning method stays in effect for the entire six-week grading period. If parents/guardians wish to request a change in learning method, they must submit their request in writing to the campus principal or complete the online Learning Method Change Request form. This form will be opened up at cocisd.org > Families two weeks after the start of the grading period and will close two weeks before the end of the grading period. Change requests will go into effect on the first day of the next grading period.
Every COCISD student who needs one will be able to check out an iPad or Chromebook for use during the 2020-21 school year. Online students who need help with internet access will also be issued a WiFi Hotpspot. Students on campuses should bring their devices to school and take them home every day. When the period of remote learning ends, WiFi Hotspots should be returned to the campus office.
All COCISD remote students will be provided a designated daily schedule for online at-home instruction that they will be expected to follow. Attendance will be taken for all students every day. Secondary students (grades 9-12) will have access to Career & Technical Education (CTE) and dual credit coursework through MCISD Online as appropriate. Some courses may require on-campus activities throughout the semester.
Here are the remote student expectations/requirements:
- Students must attend school five days a week at home in a remote/virtual learning environment, unless it is a holiday or other non-school day.
- Students must log in each school day and be engaged in learning for at least three hours for grades PK-5, or four hours for grades 6-12.
- Students will show proof of participation daily by satisfactorily completing assignments to demonstrate evidence of student learning, and regularly checking in with teachers.
- Students and parents will communicate with the teacher when needing additional assistance, tutoring, etc.
- Students must attend 90% of the time to get credit for a class.
- Students must maintain a grade average of 70 or above.
Student engagement is measured daily and attendance is assigned based on the student's completion of that days' engagement measure. Students who do not complete the daily measure of engagement are counted absent for the day.
Cancellation of Remote Learning
As part of our goal to ensure an effective learning environment for all students, if a student does not meet the attendance and grade requirements listed above, their remote learning may be cancelled and they will be required return to in-person learning. Parents/guardians will be notified of the cancellation of remote learning two weeks prior to the change of placement.
If a parent/guardian disagrees with the remote learning cancellation, they may appeal this decision in one of two ways:
- Submit a medical exemption form - This exemption requires health care provider certification that the child or an individual in the child's household has a high-risk medical condition as defined by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The COCISD Medical Exemption Request submission procedure and form is HERE. Hard copies of the form are also available at each campus office and the COCISD administration office. Submit the completed form to email@example.com, fax it to 936-653-2197, or drop it off at the COCISD administration office.
- Request a transition meeting - If you request a transition meeting (which may be held virtually), COCISD will contact you to schedule the meeting, to include the student's teacher(s). The meeting will occur no sooner than 3 days after you request it, and the student may continue to learn remotely until after the meeting has been held.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org