Coldspring Intermediate Parent & Family Involvement Policy
The mission of Coldspring Intermediate School is to contribute to the growth of our students, school, and community. We believe that the involvement of all stakeholders is vital to accomplishing this goal. A strong partnership between COCISD and the community will help foster the growth of our students.
Definition of Parent Involvement
The school will be governed by the following statutory definition of parental involvement, and will carry out programs, activities, and procedures in accordance with this definition:
Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring—
(A) that parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
(B) that parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
(C) that parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child.
Title 1 Planning
Coldspring Intermediate School will encourage the participation of parents in developing, editing, and updating Title 1 components by holding annual meetings at the campus to discuss the following:
- Title 1 Plan
- Implementation of Title 1 Plan
- Title 1 funds allocated for parent involvement activities
A Home-School Compact will be developed jointly between parents and school personnel that will:
- describe the responsibilities of students, parents, and the school to improve student academic and social growth;
- address the importance of establishing ongoing communication between school personnel and parents;
- and establish responsibilities for students, parents, and school personnel.
Home-School compacts will be distributed annually to all parents.
School Review and Improvement
Coldspring Intermediate School will take the following actions to involve parents in the process of school review and improvement under section 1116 of the ESEA:
- At the annual meeting, parents will be informed of the current academic activities implemented within the district’s Title 1 program.
- Allow parents to review and make suggestions to be incorporated into the program.
District Support for Parental Involvement
Coldspring-Oakhurst CISD will provide the following activities to assist Title 1 schools in planning and implementing effective parental involvement activities to improve student achievement as required in section 118 of the ESEA. The district will:
- Provide resources and support to help schools facilitate parent involvement activities.
- Provide web access, phone calls, and flyers about parent involvement activities and information concerning student progress.
- Provide a copy of Parent-Student Handbooks (e-copy or hard copy) for parents at the beginning of the school year.
- Encourage and facilitate parental activities within the district such as Parent Teacher Organization, Parent Volunteer Programs, Meet the Teacher, Open House, Title 1 Public Meeting, and Family Nights.
Coordination of Parent Involvement Activities
The district will, to the extent feasible and appropriate, coordinate and integrate parental involvement programs and activities with Head Start and other educational programs.
An annual evaluation of parental involvement will be conducted through a parent survey as well as information on parent participation such as the number and quality of parent training and family involvement in events. The Campus and District Advisory Committee will be involved in the policy review and improvement to evaluate the effectiveness of the policy in this district and make any needed revisions.