Lice Protocol Coldspring-Oakhurst CISD
In an effort to align with current best practices, the COCISD Student Health Advisory Council (SHAC) has put together the following protocol:
- Active cases of lice will be determined by the presence of:
- Live bugs
- Close brown nits (1/4 inch or less from the scalp)
- In an effort to reduce classroom absence, students will be removed from the classroom for live bugs only.
- If close brown nits are noted, parents will be advised to remove them prior to returning to school.
- Parents will be provided with an information sheet to help them navigate the treatment of lice.
- Routine mass screenings will not occur on a scheduled basis. Mass screenings will be done based on need as determined by the District Nurse. The following conditions are considered possible reasons for mass screenings:
- At the lower campuses where students spend most of their day together, it would be prudent to screen the class of child with an active case of lice.
- Pulling and checking the students who live in the same house as a student with head lice at any campus within the district.
- Students determined to have live bugs will be excluded from all school activities until they are cleared by the Health Services staff or their designee.
- Students who are sent home with live lice are required to be cleared by campus health services staff before getting back on the bus, returning to the classroom, or participation in any school related activity. This will require an adult to bring the student to the clinic to have their head checked before re-entry.
- Students who go home for head lice will be considered excused for the remainder of that school day.
- The next following school day will not be considered excused.
- Students staying with us until the end of the day will still be excused for that day only.
- Students who present with recurrent cases of lice may be asked to remove close brown nits as well as treatment for live bugs prior to re-entry. This will be at the discretion of the District Nurse and/ or the Superintendent.
For more information, contact your student's campus clinic:
JSE & CIS - 936-653-1185 or 936-653-1150
LJH - 936-653-1164
COHS - 936-653-1135