Welcome to the COCISD Specialized Learning Department!
services provided & Resources
COCISD's Special Education Department includes Special Education, Dyslexia, and Response to Intervention (RTI) services. These programs are coordinated between the central office staff and campuses, but the services are provided on campuses.
COCISD provides a wide variety of services to students, including:
- speech therapy
- psychological services
- occupational therapy
- a teacher for students with auditory or visual impairments
- physical therapy
- special transportation
- home-bound services
- orientation and mobility services
- transition planning for post-secondary goals
- individual education plans for each student in Special Education
What about Dyslexia?For students who need specific dyslexia testing, services and/or accommodations, COCISD provides a teacher trained in both assessment and dyslexia services for daily, pull-out, or testing services with students and staff.The Texas Education Agency (TEA) recently updated its Dyslexia Handbook. This update includes important changes that affect Dyslexia evaluations, students already identified with Dyslexia, and students suspected of having Dyslexia. A summary of the updates is provided as follows:The complete handbook with updates has been published in TEA's 2021 Dyslexia Handbook.
Life after graduationThe Transition in Texas website is a project of the Texas Secondary Transition/Post-School Results Network in collaboration with TEA. The network is comprised of representatives from each of the 20 Education Service Centers in Texas. For more information on Transition in Texas click here.
The Texas Transition and Employment Guide provides youth, young adults, parents, and professionals with secondary transition resources to facilitate a young person's progress toward post-secondary goals in education, employment, and community living. This guide will continually be updated. For more information on the Texas Transition and Employment Guide click here.
For more information on any of these programs, please contact our Special Education office at 936-653-1179, or contact your child's campus.
Parent Resources/Required Postings:
- Texas Statewide Leadership for Autism Training (TSLAT) Free online training modules for educators.
- The Autism Circuit Free online training modules for educators.
- The National Professional Development Center on Autism Spectrum Disorder Free online training about ASD.
- Autism Internet Modules (AIM) Free online training about ASD.
- Autism Speaks Transition Resources Free online resources.
- Institute for Community Inclusion- Supporting Individuals with ASD: Quality Employment Practices
- The Autism Circuit- Pinterest
- The Autism Helper- Free resources and weekly blog to support educators working with individuals diagnosed with ASD.
- Structured Teaching Method -TEACCH
- The Texas Autism Conference
- Texas Project First
- Texas Behavior Support Initiative
Eligibility & Evaluations
SB 139 Notice to Families (English Version) - Click to view information on TEA Special Education enrollment reporting, Special Education/IDEA eligibility, and how to request a special education evaluation at the district and campus levels:
SB 139 Notice to Families (Spanish Version) - Haga clic para ver la información sobre los informes de inscripción en educación especial de TEA, la elegibilidad para educación especial / IDEA y cómo solicitar una evaluación de educación especial a nivel del distrito y del campus.
Delayed or Denied Evaluations & Compensatory Services
Forms and Additional Resources
- Texas Education Agency Resources on Special Education in Texas
- Audiology Form Unbranded
- Occupational Therapy Form Unbranded
- Personal Care Form Unbranded
- Physical Therapy Form Unbranded
- Psychological Services Form Unbranded
- Speech Therapy Form Unbranded
- Consent for psychological services.undefined
- REQUEST FOR HOMEBOUND SERVICES
- Child Find Coldspring
- CHILD FIND LEGAL DOC
- Model Form Notice of Transfer of Rights to Students_Final
- Transition planning
- Texas Transition and Employment Guide