HB 4545: Accelerated instruction Tutorials for the 2021-22 School Year
House Bill 4545 (HB 4545) was recently passed in the 87th Regular Legislative Session
The new statute is effective as of June 16, 2021, with accelerated instruction practices required during the 2021-2022 school year for all students, based on results from the Spring 2021 STAAR Scores.
COCISD will provide Accelerated Instruction Tutorials after school in the fall & spring to ensure that your student receives the additional high-quality instruction and support he/she needs to be adequately prepared to approach, meet, and/or master the satisfactory academic performance standards of the assessment. Each tutorial session will be student-centered and personalized to meet their individual learning needs by focusing on targeted TEKS objectives.
HB 4545 establishes new requirements for accelerated instruction for students who do not pass the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®)
At a high level, the legislation includes:
- Elimination of grade retention and retesting requirements in grades 5 and 8
- For any student who does not pass the STAAR test in grade 3, 5, or 8 in math or reading, a new LEA requirement to establish an accelerated learning committee to develop an individual educational plan for the student including active progress monitoring
- For any student who does not pass the STAAR test in grades 3–8 or STAAR (EOC) end-of-course assessments, clarification of prior accelerated instruction requirements, specifying that it must include either:
- Being assigned a classroom teacher who is a certified master, exemplary, or recognized teacher or
- Receiving supplemental instruction (tutoring) before or after school, or embedded in the school day
Fall 2021 Accelerated Instruction Tutorials Schedule
The 1st round of STAAR/STAAR EOC Accelerated Instructional Tutorials will consist of 21 afterschool sessions, from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
Tutorials will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays starting Tuesday, Sept. 14, through Thursday, Dec. 2.
Fall Tutorial Dates
September: Tuesdays - Sept. 14, 21, and 28; Thursdays - Sept. 16, and 30
October: Tuesdays - Oct. 5, 12, 19, and 26; Thursdays - Oct. 7, 14, 21, and 28
November: Tuesdays - Nov. 2, 9, 16, and 30; Thursdays - Nov. 4, 11, and 18
December: Tuesday, Dec. 2
Spring 2022 Accelerated Instruction Tutorials Schedule
The 2nd round of STAAR/STAAR EOC Accelerated Instructional Tutorials will consist of 22 afterschool sessions, from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
Tutorials will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays starting Tuesday, Jan. 11, through Thursday, March 31.
Spring Tutorial Dates
January: Tuesdays - Jan. 11, 18, and 25; Thursdays - Jan. 13, 20, and 27
February: Tuesdays - Feb. 1, 8, and 22; Thursdays - 3, 10, and 24
March: Tuesdays, March 1, 8, 15, 22, and 29; Thursdays - March 3, 10, 17, 24, and 31
*Each Accelerated Instruction Tutorial session will begin at 3:30 p.m. and end at 4:30 p.m. Students will receive a snack during each session. COCISD bus transportation will be provided to the designated drop-off locations for all participating students. Parents/guardians may also elect to pick up their children from their designated campus after each tutorial session if they prefer to do so.