COCISD Student Dress Code
NOTE: The following student dress code requirements are in effect for all students while they are on campus or while they are representing COCISD at campus-related events or field trips, unless otherwise notified. This includes summer school and after-school activities.
Dress and Grooming Requirements for All Grade Levels
A necessary factor in school morale concerns student dress. As a student’s appearance many times governs his/her attitude and behavior, neat, clean, modest attire is important. Sloppy, tattered, or distractive dress detracts from the learning atmosphere and is considered inappropriate. Therefore, all students must adhere to the COCISD Dress Code. The Dress Code will be reviewed in detail with all students at the beginning of the school year and strictly enforced throughout. The district’s dress code has been established to teach grooming and hygiene, prevent disruption, minimize safety hazards, and maintain a positive learning climate. Students and parents may determine a student’s personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the following:
Mask/Face covering policy in response to COVID-19: Masks/face coverings are optional for all COCISD students. If a mask/face covering is worn, it may be a mask, shield, surgical, cloth, or gator. A mask/face covering may be personalized as long as it is not vulgar, inappropriate, or represents a political statement.
- Students may wear shorts but they must be loose fitting, and hemmed. NO BIKER SHORTS OR SPANDEX MATERIAL ALLOWED. Writing is not acceptable on seat of pants, warm-ups or shorts. The LENGTH of shorts, dresses and skirts must be no shorter than 6 inches above the top of the knee. If wearing tight fitting leggings, the shirt or sweater must meet length requirement for dresses, skirts or shorts.
Clothing must not be revealing. Students may NOT wear halter-tops, see-through clothing, low cut tops, tank tops, muscle shirts or strapless garments. These clothing items will not be permitted at all, not even if covered by a jacket or any other removable covering. Student clothing may not be tight or revealing. (No cleavage or undergarments should be visible).
- All student shirts must cover the midriff COMPLETELY during all normal daily activities. Shirts should be long enough to be tucked in and remain tucked in when arms are raised in the air.
- When wearing a button-up or zippered shirt or blouse, students must button or zip the garment to where the second button is or would be located.
Pants or shorts must be fitted at the waist and in the stride. The display of undergarments above the beltline is not permitted. Pants may not drag the ground or cover the foot. SAGGY PANTS ARE NOT PERMITTED. Belts must be inside belt loops and are required on oversized pants.
Pants that button, snap, or Velcro up the side may not be worn.
- Clothing (shirts) with holes of any kind are not acceptable. Clothing (pants) with holes are allowed, but dark colored tights/leggings must be worn underneath as skin is not allowed to be visible. Patches must be permanent. Students will not be allowed to use tape/band aids, etc. to cover holes.
Clothing advertising, picturing or suggesting drugs, alcohol or tobacco, as well as clothing with vulgar or suggestive or offensive language or language with double meanings is not allowable school attire. Clothing with slogans or pictures advocating violence, racial or religious intolerance or of a sexual nature are not acceptable school attire. Garments that deface the American flag are not to be worn.
- Headwear including caps, hats, bandannas, pics, combs, wave caps, sweatbands and sunglasses are not allowed on campus except during special announced campaigns, ex. Red Ribbon Week, Homecoming, or other activities approved by administration.
Students may not wear visible body or piercings/ornaments except for earrings, which are limited to three (3) per ear. Facial, eye, mouth, tongue, or nose piercings/ornaments are not allowed. Bandages covering piercings are not allowed. Gauges are not allowed. No visible objects may be used as a spacer when jewelry/ornament is removed.
Students must wear shoes at all times. Students may not wear house shoes or shoes with cleats. Wheels/rollers or any soles that can mark or damage floors are unacceptable. For safety reasons, students in Grades PK-5 must wear shoes with a back.
- Students should wear clean clothing and be well groomed. Sleepwear is not acceptable.
No visible tattoos or body art of any kind will be permitted. This includes the drawing or marking on hands and arms with pens, pencils, markers, or any other device that leaves designs or marks, temporary or permanent. Tattoos which are not visible in normal clothing, but which are visible in athletic clothing shall not be permitted. Students with existing tattoos must keep them covered at all times when participating in any extracurricular activity/event and or representing COCISD.
- Backpacks, satchels, shoe sacks and extracurricular equipment bags must be kept in assigned locker or designated areas.
Make-up such as black lipstick, or hair styles/colors such as pink, green, orange, blue etc. are deemed to be a distraction and are prohibited. Hair color must be a naturally occurring color.
Chains, including wallet chains, are prohibited.
Final determinations concerning dress code compliance shall rest with campus administration.
Consequences for Dress Code Violations
If the principal determines that a student’s grooming or clothing violates the school’s dress code, the student will be given an opportunity to correct the problem at school and return to the classroom. If not corrected, the student may be assigned to in-school suspension for the remainder of the day, until the problem is corrected, or until a parent or designee brings an acceptable change of clothing to the school.
Repeated or severe offenses may result in more serious disciplinary action in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct.